DES PLAINES, IL 60018
Barton Professional Placement Group is Recruiting for our global client a Manager of Ocean Export. This department-wide manager will spend half the time supervising, and half the time driving strategy for the Ocean Export Department. Successful candidates must be self-motivated, energetic, and independent achiever who also work well on a team in a fast-paced environment. Candidates must be analytical, and possess strong interpersonal and organization skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to multi-task and calmly execute on quickly changing priorities under deadlines with great attention to detail.
- Ensure safety is number one priority.
- Supervise all personnel activities at the direction of the division general manager.
- Ensure compliance with company policies.
- Lead the hiring process, supervise, train, and manage performance of department employees.
- Developing department staff in effective operations, safety & security.
- Provide proactive coaching and mentor junior staff to achieve peak performance and prepare them for the next level.
- Maintain a positive employee relations environment in compliance with Company policies.
- Direct Ocean Export staff to perform work.
- Enforce SOP’s and principles.
- Ensure compliance with applicable government regulations, company policies and procedures.
- Monitor department results to ensure timely pick-ups, deliveries, transfers.
- Drive excellent customer service with zero errors.
- Communicate with customers, vendors, export related authorities, internal departments and overseas branches and agents.
- Document, record, report and analyze export operations to the Export Manager on daily and monthly reports
- Manage/coordinate with other internal departments
- Investigate and pro-actively resolve any issues and report to management.
- Set an example for good housekeeping
- Administer corrective action according to management direction
- Make Sales calls for new/old customers to increase business opportunity
- Prepare customer quotations
- Responsible for timely account receivable collection.
- Cost analysis and negation with sub-contractors to increase revenue
Process Improvement Functions:
- Teamwork - Must work professionally and effectively with key warehouse, export, customer service, traffic, operations and other department staff in order to achieve operational excellence and exceed the requirements of the customers
- Communication/Feedback - Accept feedback willingly; develop and maintain positive working relationships with management, peers and co-workers
- Continual Improvement - Identify new administrative or operations processes that increase overall team efficiency and enhance professionalism, and make recommendations for implementation to management
- Develop, improve and maintain Professional and Technical Knowledge by staying current with important industry issues and networking with co-workers, customers and industry contacts Minimum Requirements: Education, Experience and Required
- A.A./A.S. Degree or equivalent work experience or higher
- Very good proficiency in various PC business software programs required especially MS Excel; AS400 highly preferred but not required
- Working knowledge of general and export computer application technology
- Knowledge of international commerce (Incoterms, method, customs regulations etc.)
- Knowledge of Department of Transportation (DOT), State, Federal and Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) regulations
- Minimum of five to ten years ocean export operations experience in the international ocean freight industry preferably in a supervisory position. Knowledge of international commerce (Incoterms, custom regulations, international logistics, etc.)
Critical Work Behavioral Characteristics:
- Strong management and organizational skills
- Strong teamwork skills and inclination
- Strong communications skill
- Skilled in process improvement
- Influencing skills in a matrix environment
- Ability to understand, develop and maintain multi-cultural relationships
- Patience – ability to deal with complex processes that may involve multiple levels of approval
- Proven record of ability to lead and supervise ocean export staff.
- Self starter, who will initiate improvements, oversee department and develop staff with little supervision and direction.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of the work being performed by employees in this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all tasks, duties, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Successful Candidates may be asked to perform other duties as required.